THE ISLAMIC STATE DOCUMENT
Pan-Malaysian Islamic Party or the Islamic Party of Malaysia also known as PAS
In the name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.
“Those who, if We give them power in the land, establish worship and pay the poor due and enjoin kindness(the right) and forbid iniquity (the wrong). And Allah’s is the sequel of events.” – Surah Al-Hajj : 41
Allah commands that you should render back the trusts to those to whom they are due; and that when you judge between men, you judge with justice: Verily how excellent is the teaching which He gives you! Truly, Allah is Ever All Hearer and All Seer.” – Surah An-Nisa’ : 58 “Listen and obey even if your leader is a slave from Habsyah (Ethiopia), his hair the like of raisins, for so long as he listens and obeys the Book of Allah.”
PREFACE BY THE PRESIDENT OF THE
ISLAMIC PARTY OF MALAYSIA (PAS)
sufficient evidence to squash allegations made by its enemies that PAS will not establish an Islamic State.
performed with the availability of a specific item, then the procurement of that item is equally obligatory.” It is with this realization that PAS champions the cause for Islam as a “Deen wa Daulah” (Way of life and a State) to be established in our beloved country of Malaysia, based on the principles of the Shariah and guided by the dictates of the Almighty Allah:
If Allah had so willed, He would have made you one nation, but that (He) may test you in what He has given you; socompete in good deeds. The return of you (all) is to Allah;then He will inform you about that in which you used to
– Surah al-Maa’idah : 48
truth in what Allah has said; “But no, by your Lord, they can have no Faith, until they make you(O Muhammad) judge In all disputes between them, and find in themselves no resistance against your decisions and accept them with full submission.”
– Surah An-Nisa’ : 65
borne fruit when Kelantan and Terengganu are governed by PAS. With this success Islam is being practiced in both governance and administration in these two states within the legal bounds permitted taking into consideration obstacles and limitations that have to be encountered. With the publication and dissemination of this document, we are hopeful
that the Malaysian society will now be able to better appreciate the concept and model of the Islamic State and Government as striven for by PAS since its inception. The document also serves to clarify the concept of a true Islamic state as opposed to a “pseudo Islamic state”. Should PAS be mandated to govern Malaysia, God willing, an Islamic state as outlined in this document will be implemented to the best of our ability.
Islamic Party of Malaysia (PAS).
but as a mercy for the whole Universe.”
– Surah Al-Anbiyaa’ : 107 2.
organize the complete system of individual, societal and national life. Islamic political leadership is therefore an important institution necessary for the achievement of human progress. 3. PAS takes full cognizance of the reality and sensitivity of this country’s multi-ethnic, multi-religious and multi-cultural makeup. Hence from its inception, PAS has stated in no uncertain terms, its stance on the status and position of Islam as a comprehensive system of life
embracing the entire domain of socio-political life; be it at the individual, societal, national and international arenas.
The political history of this nation has witnessed that since its inception in 1951, the Islamic Party of Malaysia (PAS) has been committed to and consistent with the observation and practice of parliamentary democracy. PAS has accepted democracy as the best methodology through which it should realize the ambition, vision and mission of its political PARTI ISLAM SEMALAYSIA (PAS)
comprehensive way of life, identifying various major guidelines (derived from the
vast principles and provisions of the shariah) which are to be implemented in the
establishment of an Islamic state. 6. PAS is fully committed in preserving both the interests of the religion (of Islam) and that of the nation and manifests this commitment categorically in the Vision and Mission statements as found in Section 5 (i) and (ii) of the Constitution of the
party: i.To struggle for the establishment of a society and government in this country, that embodies and manifests Islamic values and laws that seek the pleasure of the Almighty ii. To uphold the sovereignty of the country and the sanctity of the religion of Islam In Section 7 of the party’s Constitution, PAS reasserts that: “The highest source of authority is the Holy Qur’an, the Prophetic Tradition (Sunnah of ar-Rasul), Consensus (Ijma’) of the Ulama’ and Analogy
(Qiyas)which are clear and evident”. 7. The first Islamic State was established in the multi-racial, multi-cultural and multi- religious society of Medina in the period of the Prophet and the Rightly Guided Caliphates and so shall it need to be established till the end of time. 8. The Constitution of Medina, known as ‘Sahifah Medina’, has duly stipulated the rights and responsibilities of every citizen in a just manner for the plural society of Medina and those who took abode in the state. 9. The Holy Qur’an and the Sunnah have laid down the broad guiding principles of the Islamic State, which if taken together, primarily leads man to obedience
and submission unto Allah. Allah says in the Holy Quran: “ I’ve not created Jinn and men, save that they may serve and worship me..’’
Surah Az-Zaariyat:56 10.
legislation in the governance of the state and its judiciary is imperative and mandatory to the Islamic State as evidently emphasized by Allah’s commandment in the Quran:
“Surely We have sent down to you (O Muhammad) the Book in truth, that you might judge between men by that
which Allah has shown you; so be not a pleader for the treacherous.”
Surah an-Nisaa’ : 105 11. The Islamic State based its legislation on the laws of the Almighty Who is Most Gracious and Most Merciful. It is therefore impossible for these laws to be the cause or source of injustice. 12. The Islamic State is an ideal state cherished and longed for by all who love peace and true justice. 13. The true Islamic State is a state which is peaceful and prosperous while receiving the pleasure of Allah the Almighty. When peace is combined with forgiveness from Allah, true peace will result. 14. Muslims are entrusted to say in their prayers:
“Truly, my prayer, my worship, my life and my death is only for Allah, Master and Cherisher of the entire Universe”. The above oath, repeated in the daily prayers of the Muslims, is meaningless unless it’s true demands are earnestly fulfilled. To fulfill the demands of this oath, it is imperative that a true Islamic state be established. 15. Unless an Islamic State is established, the true import and demands of this oath could not be manifested in its entirety. 16. The Islamic system of government as outlined above is the conviction of a true believer (of Islam) and will lead to the embodiment of Islam in its purest form.
THE CONCEPT (TASAWWUR) OF AN ISLAMIC STATE
FROM the understanding that Islam is a comprehensive way of life that pertains to both its character as a religion and a state (Deen and Daulah), the concept of an Islamic State is derived. It is an embodiment of the principles and ideals of Islam in all aspects of life, both at the national and international levels. Typical views of the state include: • A state that practices and provides security, welfare and services to the entire citizenry, built based on the Shariah with the
intention of fulfilling the demands of the Islam as a complete and comprehensive way of life for the attainment of success in this life and the Hereafter.
• A state that is headed by a leader who is God-fearing and the most virtuous member of society. Through his leadership, the instituition of the state submits to the commandments of Allah and His Prophet in all aspects of life. • A state which is God - fearing and Blessed, peaceful and prosperous while enjoying Allah’s pleasure as mentioned in the Quran : “If the people of the towns had believed and feared Allah, we should indeed have opened for them (All kinds of) blessings from Heaven and Earth ;But they rejected (Our Messengers)and We seized
them for what they used to earn (through their misdeeds).”
Surah al-A’raaf : 96 • The Shariah is the government’s main source of guidance for governance in conducting the affairs of the state.
• The Muslim citizens of the state would be educated so as to embody the Islamic way of life in its entirety so as to inculcate good moral and spiritual values in the building of the society and the nation. The implementation of Shari’ah further provides the cleansing and purification of society. A virtuous and moral society in turn, entitles itself to further bliss and grace from the Almighty including the solution of problems and overflowing prosperity.
• The implementation of Shari’ah, hudud being a part of it, provides the much required peace and security as crimes would be reduced to its minimum. “And (as for) the male thief and the female thief, cut off their hands as a recompense for that which they committed, a punishment by way of example, from Allah: And Allah is All Powerful, All Wise.”
Surah Al-Maaidah :38
Non-Muslim members of the state will continue to enjoy freedom of religious beliefs and rituals and are at liberty to practice their own way of life without any inhibitions or obstructions by the Islamic state. This is as based on the verse of the Quran: “There is no compulsion in religion” Surah Al-Baqarah : 256
POLICIES OF THE ISLAMIC GOVERNMENT 1.
an Islamic State is its total commitment and will to see that the Shariah is codified into the law of the land and is implemented. Allah is the true Supreme Law-Giver as is consonant with the verse : “ The Command Is for none but Allah: He has commanded that you worship none but Him: that is the( true) straight religion, but most men know not...” Surah Yusuf : 40
and prohibits them from taking recourse to other sources of law. In this regard, Allah emphatically says it in the Holy Quran: “…and whosoever does not judge by what Allah has revealed, such are the disbelievers”.
Surah Al-Ma’idah : 44 “
Zalimun (unjust) .”
Surah Al-Maidah: 45
the Fasiqun (evil doers).”
Surah al-Ma’idah: 42
saying that Allah is unjust in this injunction. Giving the option to the non-Muslim to choose between Hudud, Qisas and Ta’zir or otherwise is actually divinely-derived and it is not an option provided by PAS. Any contention in this regards, amounts to contesting the Divine Wisdom.
2. Vicegerency – Khilafah Adam, the first man created by Allah, was designated the position of Vicegerent of Allah on Earth. Vicegerency in this context signifies the position specifically for the guardianship over the religion of Islam and administrating the state according to its teachings. Allah says in the Holy Quran: “Follow (O men!) the revelation given unto you from your Lord, and follow not, as friends or protectors, other than Him. Little do you
Surah Al-A’raf : 3
“He it is that has made you vicegerents on the earth: so whosoever disbelieves, on him will be his disbelief; and the disbelief of the disbelievers adds nothing but hatred of their Lord. And the disbelief of the disbelievers adds nothing but loss.”
Surah Al-Fatir :39
amongst you to warn you? And remember that He made you vicegerents after the people of Noah, and increased you amply in stature. So remember the graces from Allah so that you may be successful”.
Surah Al-A’raf : 69
Surah Yunus : 14
vicegerents, while We drowned those who belied our signs. Then see what was the end of those who were warned!”
Surah Yunus : 73
some above others: that He may try you in that which He has bestowed on you. Surely your Lord is swift in retribution and certainly He is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful”
– Surah Al-An’am : 165
behalf of another (in this case, God) and will perform duties in accordance with that position. Hence man and it hereby implies leadership of the nation, must act in full consonance with the dictates of Allah and not according to his whims and fancies. Should he act in contravention to the dictates of the Almighty, he has indeed betrayed the trust and position of vicegerency of God on Earth. He no longer deserves to be called a vicegerent of Allah on Earth. On this, the Holy
Quran emphasizes that: “And your Lord said to the angels:Verilly, I am going to place a vicegerent on earth.”
Surah Al-Baqarah : 30
on earth and with it will result a Divinely ordained system for the well being and prosperity of man the world over. 3.
‘Taqwa’ or God-Fearing The scholars of Islam define Taqwa or God-Fearing as “To obey
Allah’s dictates and to shun what He prohibits”. ‘Taqwa’ is an important cornerstone of the
Islamic State. When this pervades in the nation and its citizenry, the blessing of God descends on society and simultaneously seen as a natural sentinel against the spread of evil and corruption. It will also lead to the solution of problems as promised by Allah in the Holy Quran: “And whosoever fears Allah and keeps his duty to Him, He will make a way for him to get out (from every difficulty). And He will provide him from (sources) he never could imagine.
And whosoever puts his trust in Allah,then He will suffice him. Verily Allah will accomplish His purpose. Indeed Allah has set a measure for all things. Surah At Talaaq: 2-3. “And whosoever fears Allah and keeps his duty to Him, He will make his matter easy for him.” Surah At Talaaq: 4. “And whosoever fears Allah and keeps his duty to Him, He will expiate from him his sins and will enlarge his reward.” Surah At Talaaq: 5.
“O ye who believe! Stand out firmly for justice, as witnesses to Allah, even though it be against yourselves, or your parents, or your kin, be he rich or poor, Allah is a better protector to both(than you). So follow not the lusts (of your hearts), lest you avoid justice; and if you distort your witness or refuse to give it, verily, Allah is ever well-acquainted with all what you do.” Surah an-Nisa’ : 135 Based on the above verses, justice and equality in the eyes of Islam could only be achieved if a government implements Islam in all its aspects and in its entirety. Justice and equality can only be enjoyed by the Muslim and non-Muslim citizenry when Allah’s will is implemented in its entirety. Justice in Islam is certainly beyond the simple meaning of equality or fairness. Al-Adaalah means to place something at its most appropriate place and position. Al-Musaawah on the other hand, refers to the equal status in regards to the status of all citizens in the state. Inequalities only exists in the level of attainment of piety as examplified by the Prophetic Tradition: “There is no superiority of an Arab over a non-Arab except in matter of piety and righteousness”. Allah says in the Holy Quran: “Truly, the best amongst you in the sight of Allah, are those that are most righteous and God-fearing”. Surah al-Hujuraat : 13 6.
The Islamic State guarantees the rights and freedom of the individuals and the citizens of the state. Amongst the rights and freedom protected by Islam are:
b. Individual freedom. Freedom of speech, political association and assembly
e. Freedom of education (including right to use mother-tongue in education)
f. Freedom of Religion and right to cultural expressions
g. Freedom to engage in business and the search of livelihood. All the above freedom and the freedom and rights of the citizens especially as enjoined by the Universal Declaration of Human Rights are also protected by the Islamic State.
Freedom in Islam is regulated so as not to injure and come into conflict with other individuals’ interest or the society at large. Islam does not recognise man’s absolute freedom as it will threaten and endanger the freedom and rights of others. 7. Absolute Sovereignty (As-Siyaadah wal-Haakimiyah) As-Siyaadah wal-Haakimiyah means absolute sovereignty. The Islamic State has an absolute sovereign Who cannot be challenged or interfered with.
Absolute sovereignty belongs to Allah Almighty as He is the Creator and hence the Provider and Source of Laws. Allah says in the Holy Quran: “ The Command Is for none but Allah: He has commanded that you worship none but Him: that is the( true) straight religion, but most men know not...” Surah Yusuf : 40 As-Siyaadah is the characteristic which distinguishes a true Islamic state from a pseudo Islamic state. When as-Siyaadah or Sovereignty is rendered back unto the Rightful Owner i.e God Almighty, man’s position is relegated to the position of a
vicegerent i.e. acting on behalf and in accordance to the dictates of the Almighty. To eliminate or debunk the concept of As-Siyaadah is to elevate man to the position of God. Besides, as-Siyaadah provides man the means to always return to and invoke help and solace from the Almighty Allah while he strives for the achievement of those ideals which are seemingly beyond the capability of ordinary men. Through it man becomes a mere servant of Allah seeking His pleasure in this world and in the Hereafter.
MAIN CHARACTERISTICS OF AN ISLAMIC STATE
BASED on the deliberation above, the main features and characteristics of the
Islamic State can be summarized. The following features would be given due importance in the configuration and promulgation of policies and development of the state. Amongst the main features are: ? A Sovereign State? Sovereignty of the state is an important cornerstone.
? Sovereignty of the state is achieved through allegiance to the leadership of the country, Rule of Law and Constitution for as long as it does not contravene the dictates of Allah. ? The Religion that is Obeyed? As a state that is hinged upon religion, the belief in God is a supreme characteristic.
. Dignity and Purity of Lineage
. Property In implementing the Shari’ah all vices and crimes that endanger the above stated foundations would be checked. Man-made laws have been proven a failure in guaranteeing the security and dignity of the human race. ?
Obedience to the State
of the country for as long as it does not contravene the Shariah.
• Should the leaders fail to perform the responsibilities and duties of leadership, the citizens are entitled to revoke their obedience to them. ? Accountability and Transparency • The citizens possess all rights to demand transparency at all levels of leadership • The leaders would not only be questioned by the citizens and the Ombudsman Committee but more importantly
by the Almighty Creator on the Day of Judgement. ? Enjoining Good and Forbidding Evil • The principle of ‘enjoining good and forbidding evil’ is a principle of society and the duty of everyone in the state.
• All citizens are duty-bound to implement this principle within the domain of the family, society and as well at the
• This principle differentiates a truly Islamic State from a pseudo Islamic state.
? A Serving and Caring State • The state gives utmost care for the welfare of the citizenry.
• The leaders must be willing to listen to the complaints of the citizens
• The leaders are in fact ‘servants’ of the people. ? Parliamentary Shura (Consultation and
Representation) and Constitutional Monarchy • The Islamic State will further strengthen the principles of Parliamentary Consultation and Representation (Shura) and Constitutional Monarchy in Malaysia based on the teachings of Islam. ? Integrated Development, Progressive and Technology friendly • The physical development will be integrated with the spiritual needs so as to bring about a progressive nation that is technologically advanced.
GENERAL POLICIES OF THE ISLAMIC STATE
BASED on the characteristics of the state stated above, PAS would arrange and strategize the following policies in the various aspects and departments of societal and national life. These policies will form the cornerstone of nation building. Amongst the critical policies are as follows: The Economy
• The citizens are free to conduct their economic activities within the ambit of the Shari’ah
• The practice of Usury or Riba would be gradually phased out in all activities
• To ensure that practices of cheating, graft, monopoly, crony capitalism and nepotism are eliminated
• To allow equal access to participate in the various activities of the economy
• The divide between the ‘haves and have-nots’ is reduced
• Distributive justice is achieved so as to avoid monopoly of wealth in the hands of the rich and politically influential.
Social Development • To construct a society that is morally sound and vibrant
• To achieve a balanced and caring society
• To encourage the total development of human potential
• To enhance social integration and harmony
• To create a quality of life enjoyed by all.
• To imbibe a strong sense of true patriotism
• To stress on the need of giving and caring in social development programmes
• To institute the family unit as a basic and primary driver to social development Defence Policy • To upgrade
the infrastructure and infostructure of a vibrant defence capability to ward off attempts of external incursions.
• To achieve geostrategic partnership amongst friendly neighbours.
• To embrace the entire citizenry for national defence. Foreign Policy • To construct geopolitical network and
smart partnership in securing regional stability.
• To enhance the spirit of mutual respect and solidarity amongst regional partners.
• To uphold non-aligned foreign and international policy. Health Policy • The stress is on a more holistic
approach to health care and health delivery-system.
• To prepare a medical and health scheme that charges minimal payment to all citizens.
• To upgrade the health care systems for the rural folks.
• To allow access to alternative medical therapy
• To prioritise the importance of preventive medicine. Education • To forward a truly integrated system of
education so as to prepare a technologically and scientifically sound human resource entrenched in religion, morality
• To deliver a well-thought and effective system of religious studies
• To offer free education at the primary level for all.
• To encourage and expand on mother-tongue education
• To maintain Bahasa Melayu as the national language with the English Language as the second language.
• To encourage an educational system that brings success both here and the Hereafter.
• To provide sufficient infrastructure needs in education to the rural areas.
:: PARTI ISLAM SEMALAYSIA (PAS)
http://www.pas.org.my Powered by Joomla! Generated: 19 September, 2007, 05:44
• To prepare a more comprehensive educational system so as to achieve the status of a newly industrialized nation.
• To encourage the use of ICT as a basic delivery system in national education Policy on Women • To
empower women in accordance to their nature and
• To present a comprehensive Policy on Women Development
• To encourage healthy competition of women alongside men
within the limits of the Shari’ah.
• To eliminate the exploitation of women in all aspects of life
• To prepare a new strategic plan for women in the new
• To encourage cross-cultural women integration regardless of
race and religion Policy on Youth Development • To emphasize the need of moral development in the National Youth Development Policy
• To arrange programs which will enable and empower the youth to free themselves of social evils
• To provide greater opportunity for skill-based development programs
• To develop the youthful potential of the younger generation as the future leaders of the nation
• To focus on imbibing patriotic sentiment, healthy living, resilient personality with visionary outlook in life.
Culture and Entertainment • To develop a National Cultural Policy that reflects a truly Malaysian persona that is in line with the Shari’ah.
• To allow for the freedom of cultural expression of all the ethnic groupings in Malaysian society
• To enhance Eastern Culture that is in line with religious dictates Tourism and the Hospitality Industry • To develop a National Tourism Policy that is line with Islam
• To reduce the negative impact of foreign visitors
• To encourage the involvement of locals in the hospitality industry Public Utilities • Provision of public utilities are the main agenda and responsibility of the state.
• To reduce use of public funds for infrastructural development
• To enhance social consciousness of the need to take care of public utilities
• To enhance public awareness in society Policy on Communication and ICT • To develop a healthy public opinion that is in line with universal and Islamic perspectives
• To use communication as a crucial medium in Islamic propagation.
• To leverage on ICT in social development programs
• To optimize ICT as a medium of communication to impart knowledge and truth.
CONCLUSION “Membangun Bersama Islam” – “Progress With Islam” would be
embodied in establishing the Islamic Order and State. Islam is the solution to all human problems, including issues arising from a plural society. The embodiment of Parliamentary Consultation and Representation (Shura) and Constitutional Monarchy would be enhanced in the Islamic Government. The Islamic State secures the progress, well-being and prosperity
The state prospers and secures the pleasure of the Almighty.